Friday, June 15, 2007

And She Said What?

I know that several of us keep quotes on our desks to encourage us in our writing. Mine is from Helen Keller (American Writer), "Be of good cheer. Do not think of today’s failures, but of the success that may come tomorrow. You have set yourselves a difficult task, but you will succeed if you persevere; and you will find a joy in overcoming obstacles."

She was deaf and blind, and born in Tuscumbia, Alabama (Hi, Beverly!). Even with the two handicaps, she graduated from Radcliffe College with honors and wrote (actually typed) at least seven books. I figure since I have my hearing and sight, I should achieve my goal with fewer hardships. Thinking positive here.

Another quote I came across the other day, I sent to a friend to encourage her. It’s from Stephen King’s ON WRITING, "...the realization that stopping a piece of work just because it’s hard, either emotionally or imaginatively, is a bad idea. Sometimes you have to go on when you don’t feel like it, and sometimes you’re doing good work when it feels like all you’re managing is to shovel sh** from a sitting position."

Another quote I like, not for inspiration but more for a point, from Mr. King is "It’s hard for me to believe that people who read very little (or not at all in some cases) should presume to write and expect people to like what they have written, but I know it’s true." Then he goes on to write, "If you don’t have time to read, you don’t have the time (or the tools) to write. Simple as that." I knew I would find an excuse out there for reading so many books.

And now for a couple short ones...

"Even in the midst of love-making, writers are working on the description." Mason Cooley, U.S. aphorist.

"Resentment is like drinking poison and waiting for the other person to die." Carrie Fisher.

What are some of your favorites?

3 comments:

MaryF said...

Ok, here are a few that I found were helpful:

"There are all kinds of writers and all kinds of methods, and any method that helps you to say what you want to say is the right method for you." William Zinnser 'On Writing Well'

or "You want to write? Write. Don't wait for the muse. WRITE. Just plant your butt in a chair and write." By James V. Smith, Jr. 'The Writer's Little Helper'
and finally, one that we all can identify with:
"Everytime my computer has ever crashed in the middle of writing an unsaved scene, and I had to rewrite it all from word one, it's turned out better. There's a lesson in that, and I think it's this: I DON'T NEED A MUSE; I NEED A LESS DEPENDABLE COMPUTER!" also by James V. Smith, Jr.

Hope y'all enjoy them.

Barb said...

I keep a poster of Yoda up in my room at work. The kids, big and small, love it. His qoute is "Do or do not. There is no try."

Gaill, the one who writes crap said...

I don't remember who said this, but it is so true:
The good thing about never trying is that you'll never fail, but you won't ever succeed, either.
Oh, and I read this one just last night, and I loved it:
"I am no Einstein." Albert Einstein, quoted in Daily Variety (originally).