Monday, May 21, 2007

Let's all gather 'round to watch Jennifer faint

I've agreed to give a presentation at Southern Magic's June meeting. Public speaking is not my forte, which is one reason I stopped teaching college English. But I can do it once for Christy, on a subject I know a thing or two about: query letters!

I plan to focus on the following topics, answering questions I get asked a lot in meetings:

1. How and when to query, including etiquette

2. How to write the beginning and end of the letter

3. How to write the heart of the letter, the two-paragraph book summary that drives so many people insane

I'll have lots of examples of queries I wrote that did and didn't work. Do you have any suggestions or questions that I can work into the presentation? If there's something you've always wondered about, I can try to find an answer for you from an agent or editor between now and the end of June.

***BEST OF ALL****, I'm responsible for the June door prize, which will include a freshly printed copy of THE BOYS NEXT DOOR, due out the following Tuesday. Y'all come!

3 comments:

Christy said...

I can whole-heartedly endorse Jenn's wonderful advice. She gave me some excellent tips and suggestions on my queries.

And Jenn, you're a wonderful speaker. Can't believe you get nervous because you certainly don't show it.

Can't wait for The Boys Next Door!

Carla Swafford said...

I promise to bring a pillow for you to land on!

Barb said...

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Queries are a big thorn in my behind. I need all the help I can get. ;-)

Can't wait to see the freshly printed book either. I have some girls already asking for it!! The pressure!!!!