Friday, April 27, 2007

Vive la difference

I just started reading Jennifer Crusie's Tell Me Lies, and I'm struck by how different it is from her other novels. But I suppose I get this feeling every time I pick up one of her books: Bet Me is completely different from Crazy for You is completely different from Welcome to Temptation is completely different from What the Lady Wants and Strange Bedpersons. Each of these books is a romantic comedy. You can always see Crusie working in there somewhere, with her looooooong sentences and lovably off characters. But the structure and focus and force of the books are different every time. And...it's a bit early to tell, but I think I'm going to like Tell Me Lies best.

I think/hope I write this way too, but it's not something I've tried to do. It's come very naturally. Someone reading both Major Crush and The Boys Next Door might see some similarities, but you could probably make a convincing argument that a different author had written each book (if you hid the cover). The settings, plots, heroines, and story goals are completely different. But the bottom line is that I wrote them almost two years apart. Different things had filtered into my brain in those two years, so my mindset automatically created a second book that wasn't a copy of the first.

Do you get the feeling you're repeating yourself from book 1 to book 2, or is every manuscript a completely new adventure?

1 comment:

Carla Swafford said...

I like to think each of my books are different, but I do notice more often than not that I have the same theme running through them. Family is important and you'll do anything to protect them. No matter if they're your parents, siblings or your own children.