Friday, April 20, 2007

Coming Out of the Fog to Blog

I feel as though I've been in a cave. The last few weeks, I've done little except edit a manuscript. Other than ordinary life stuff, I've thought of nothing but these characters and this story...and it's enough already. I'm ready to get back into the flow of life and actually have one.

I am a little concerned though, because I'm feeling a little lost, somewhat disoriented . I've written several manuscripts, but I've never so wholly concentrated my efforts and my time as I have with this one. I'm getting ready to send it off to an agent and I'm thinking, okay, now what? It's like I don't know what to think about anymore other than these characters and this story. I need to go on to something else. But what?

Should I start something new...I already know the answer to that, but since my next story is the second in my new series, I'm a little concerned my old characters will try to take over and push my new story out. Should I start a round of queries with this one? Should I catch up on the reading I've missed? Should I go back and revise another manuscript I was working on before I started editing this one? Should I read for pleasure?

What about you? What do you do to regroup and refocus after spending hours and hours concentrating on one particular story? Do you have a problem moving on?

2 comments:

JoAnn said...

You might want to take a little time to read for pleasure, or as Miss Snark likes to say, get thee to a museum! I would definitely vote for a mind clearing activity. :-)

Carla Swafford said...

Since it takes me so loooonnnggg to finish a book, I'm so happy to be rid of them and don't have a problem. But if I did, I would do as JoAnn suggested - read a book - preferable something different than what you wrote.