Sunday, February 25, 2007

Timeless Love Stories

Several weeks ago, archeologists uncovered a couple in Italy buried in an eternal embrace. They believe the couple are Neolithic, which means they were buried 5,000 to 6,000 years ago. This finding stunned them because double burials were uncommon, but even more so for a couple to be hugging. Wouldn't you love to know the story of this couple? Read article here.

There are numerous love stories in the BIBLE. One is Jacob and Rachel (Genesis 29). He loved Rachel so much he was willing to labor for her father seven years to marry her. At the end of the seven years, he was forced to marry her older sister, Leah. But he loved her so much he was willing to labor another seven years to have Rachel as his wife. That is some strong devotion to a woman.

Then there's Ruth, who has her own book in the BIBLE. First, she will not leaver her mother-in-law, Naomi, after the deaths of their husbands. "And Ruth said, Entreat me not to leave thee, or to return from following after thee: for whither thou goest, I will go; and where thou lodgest, I will lodge: thy people shall be my people, and thy God my God: Where thou diest, will I die, and there will I be buried: the Lord do so to me, and more also, if ought but death part thee and me." (Ruth 1:16-17) So, Ruth follows Naomi and while gleaning grain, meets Boaz, a relative of Naomi's husband. Not only does he allow her to glean barley in his field, he instructs his men to let grain fall from their bundles purposely for her. Boaz must first allow a closer relative to redeem what belonged to their brother, but when he refuses, Boaz has the choice. Boaz marries Ruth and several begots later, David is born, which is the line of Joseph, who marries Mary, the mother of Christ.

In March my husband, David, and I will have been married 22 years. We must be doing something right. He's not the most romantic guy around, but he's always been supportive of my writing or anything else I wanted to do. He'll go almost anywhere I want. Which means a lot more than a few flowers.

Do you have a favorite nonfiction romance?

2 comments:

JoAnn said...

Debbie, I have to say that my favorite nonfiction romance is that of my parents. Just a few weeks ago, I found my mother's diary that she kept when she and my dad were dating. It was a hard, emotional read for me, but the thing that stood out was that in spite of the difficult times (WWII), they truly loved each other. They celebrated their 60th wedding anniversary just a few weeks before she passed away. Dad was lost without her.

Gary and I celebrated 25 years of marriage last year. That's not even half as long as my parents were married. I hope we hit 60 too.

Deborah Matthews said...

Wow, JoAnn. Reading her diary must have been so wondeful, even if emotional.