Thursday, February 01, 2007

Doubting Thomas

Well, we didn't wake up to a white wonderland. It's just wet and cold, though I still have sleet on my car trunk and top. It's been so long since I've seen snow I was hoping for a little. Of course, that may be because I don't have to get out in it.

I'm finishing up my WIP. I added a couple of scenes so the ending wouldn't be so rushed. But in editing, it sounds like dreck. Most writers seem to go through this feeling from time-to-time, but how do you deal with it? Enquiring minds want to know.

Do you have any tricks to deal with the doubt you sometimes feel? Do you just trudge on knowing you'll feel differently at a later time?

3 comments:

Karen Beeching said...

This has been my biggest problem over the last two years and I think I'm finally climbing over this crippling hurdle. What has helped me a great deal is reading or talking to other authors (published and pre-published) who have similar issues. Often I read sections of the book "Bird by Bird" which is hilarious and describes one author's journey through the same issues.

I'm my worst critique and I try to remember that.

Hot Fudge sundaes help as well.

:)

Carla Swafford said...

Hot Fudge sundaes. Hmmm. Lovely.

Debbie, I say put it down for a while and then come back. You'll catch yourself saying things like, "Wow! I'm good," "Did I really write this or did Nora sneak in and do that?" or "Of course, that's why I wrote this, I love this story." You'll be surprised.

Deborah Matthews said...

Thanks Karen & Carla. But this is the one I've got a request for, so I can't put it down. It's not the whole book, just the last part.