Friday, February 23, 2007

Confliction Addiction

I’m conflicted.

Or rather, I’m not.

I have no conflict, and I can’t figure it out. The characters in my WIP have met, gotten over their initial distrust, and are very happy. Each time I try to throw something at them, they shoot me annoyed looks and then go right back to what they were doing. Sometimes they even say “That’s just plain stupid.”

I know I have to have conflict. I’ve read The Writer’s Journey. I’ve read Goal, Motivation, and Conflict. I’ve read the Writing the Breakout Novel.

I know I have to have internal conflict and external conflict. I know!!

But when your characters won’t cooperate, is it time to type “The End” and move on to something else?

1 comment:

Carla Swafford said...

Give one of them a secret. Not a secret baby! Overdone, though I know people still enjoy those.

Make it different. A past drug addiction. Brother, sister, or uncle was a serial killer. Think of something they would be ashamed to tell the other.

Sure we believe if they love each other, they'll share secrets and all will be okay. SO NOT TRUE! Sure they will come around to an understanding, but the road to that point would be most interesting.