Thursday, January 04, 2007

Resolution or Revolution

Are you one of the millions of people who make new year's resolutions? Are you also one of the millions who break them within a few weeks, days, hours or minutes? Over the years, I've gone back and forth on this. When I do make resolutions, depending upon what they are, I tend to break them fairly early and then I feel guilty all year long. Several years ago, I made a decision to not make resolutions, thinking that was the key to my guilt complex. It wasn't. I felt guilty for not making them...even though I knew I'd break them anyway. Good heavens!

Last year, instead of resolutions, I set goals. That worked pretty well for me. I didn't achieve all of them, but at least it gave me a starting place and something to aim for. I like this better. With a resolution, it's almost as if I have to become someone else overnight...someone better. Uh, that doesn't work...I checked the mirror on January 1. Still me.

But setting goals does help me. It's a plan to move forward. Something to strive for. Something to achieve and pat myself on the back for when I accomplish it.

Many of my goals are centered around my writing, a few are purely personal and then, some are global...I'm so well rounded. Smiling here!

What about you? Do you set resolutions or goals?

2 comments:

Carla Swafford said...

I normally don't make resolutions. Too often I won't hold to it. But this year I do plan to make goals.

I plan to finish two books this year.

gaill said...

I quit making resolutions when I realized I was setting myself up for failure. A few years after I quit making resolutions, I also quit dieting. The result of my choosing not to set myself up for failure is that I have gained self-confidence and I've also lost 50 lbs in the last 3 years! When I quit thinking of failure as an option, I succeeded in ways I never would have thought possible. It has been a win-win situation. I win and I win! Now goals, well, goals are more flexible than resolutions in my mind. I do have one main goal for this year. I have 3 WIP that eat at me to get finished. My main goal is to finish the YA that is my current favorite work. The other two projects do get some work on occasion, but my goal for this year is to get my YA in front of an editor.