Sunday, January 14, 2007

A New Way of Looking at Romance


Last week, I gave in and upgraded my TV cable. Now we have like 300 channels and twelve of those are movie channels. The other night I finally sat down to check them out and found one that only showed romantic movies. Sweet!


Occasionally I enjoy a foreign film. You know with subtitles and all. I like how they show that we’re all alike in our desires, but often different in how we obtain and handle them. It helps if you know something of the film’s country’s history. Why they behave and believe in the things they do.

I have found with Chinese films in particular, though I don’t enjoy the ALWAYS tragic endings, I enjoy the visual smorgasbord along with the fight scenes. There are plenty of violence and NO SEX, not even a kiss. [sigh] Well, until I watched HOUSE OF FLYING DAGGERS. The photography was so beautiful I thought my brain would explode from all the colors and when I realized it had a romance in it – actually a triangle – I was in heaven. All the colors and romance? Too cool. They even kissed several times. Considering how reserve the Chinese are about touching each other on screen (that is, from the movies I’ve seen) I was surprised. Three times the poor girl almost had her clothes torn off her in a guy’s passionate display – two of those times were not in a positive "let me help you" way either. I could talk about the culture beliefs and reasons they would portray even a loving moment in such a way, but what I’m blogging about – yes, I have a point to all of this – is how foreign films can help you think outside a box.

Yes. I may have to place an ethic (trying to be PC here) man in one of my books. Then I can show how his thought process is different because of his culture but when it comes to love, they’re all the same. THANK THE GOOD LORD FOR THAT!

How do you think "outside the box?"
P.S. The guy in the picture was the hero in the movie. He's a big star in Asia. I believe he needs to visit the U.S.

4 comments:

JoAnn said...

I spent all afternoon watching Last of the Mohicans, for, like, the zillionth time. Tonight I've been trying to come up with ways to utilize the cultural differences in that film into my WIP. Of course, there are no cultural differences between my hero and heroine. But I think there's some internal creativity going on -- even when we can't externalize it. Make sense? Uh...no. Let me try again: I think the act of watching and reading outside our boxes is a great stimulator, even if we don't apply the ideas directly to our writing. :-)

Carla Swafford said...

So true, JoAnn.

Karen said...

Takeshi Kaneshiro is absolutely yummm. My mind glazed over as soon as I saw his picture here - he definitely needs to be in more US movies!
And he's not so much younger than me that I feel like a dirty old lady for looking at his tastiness >G<.

Karen Beeching said...

I agree with Joann. Even reading/watching genres that I don't necessarily prefer to read or watch can sometimes stimulate very different ideas.

It's always good to get outside that box.