Saturday, January 20, 2007

Dreaming the Impossible Dream

"To accomplish great things one must not only act, but dream." -- unknown

Walt Disney said something along the lines that a dream is a wish your heart makes.

We all have hopes and dreams, even if they're never spoken out loud. They burrow inside us like moles. I've always wished I could sing really well. Unfortunately, that's not a talent I was blessed with and there's not much I can do about it. I'm certainly not stupid enough to go on American Idol (even if my age permitted). There are those who say you should visualize whatever you want to accomplish.

I'd also love to play the piano. But my parents couldn't afford lessons. Now that I'm older, I doubt I'd be very good. Music just doesn't seem to be my thing.

I've always been an avid reader. In my twenties I wrote poetry--bad poetry! I can remember thinking I'd like to write a book, but never gave it any serious thought. Then, in 1995 I attended a workshop at AUM given by Beverly Barton and started seriously thinking.

In 1998 I sold my first book. Five books later, it's over four years since my last publication. But I still dream of selling again.

So, what is your dream?

5 comments:

JoAnn said...

About the singing: Me too! My mom had a beautiful voice, and I always have wished that I had inherited that. (To give you an idea of how bad I am, the first communication my youngest child had with me was clamping her hand over my mouth when I would try to sing her a lullabye!)

As for my writing, I have several levels of dreamhood. The highest, most distant level is to be able to write books that readers absolutely love and want more of. The next level down is to be able support myself through my writing. And coming farther down the ladder would be selling a book or two to a good publisher. On the bottom rung is writing stories that make me happy.

I probably won't make up the ladder too far, but hey, we're talking about dreams, right? :-)

Karen Beeching said...

My dream over the last two decades has been simply to HAVE the time to write. I managed to raise my son by myself (home schooling him through four years of that) in that time, get myself through the first two years of college taking night classes(which I will always regret not doing right after high school), and write two books that will probably never see the light of day.

Two years ago things started to get a bit easier and I've managed to write two more books and intend to write two more this year (we're still dreaming, right?).

I do know that eventually I'll have my degree (I'd have it by now if I would just pick a major and stick with it but I love too many subjects). I know some day my work will be published because I will never quit writing and with each book my craft gets better.

But my current and most immediate dream is to be happy with what I have. Amazingly, that's something I have great difficulty with. But maybe that's what drives us to keep writing. I don't know.

:)

I would also like to sing well. Of course, that will never happen. Even when I hum, my animals leave the room.

Carla Swafford said...

I've daydreamed about many things as far back as I can remember. The earliest dream I can remember is sitting in the back seat of the family car and saluting like a general as I passed my invisible troops at roadside. Yeah, I know, I'm a girl, but my dad took me to a lot of miltary and western movies. He wasn't much for watching princess movies.

As I got older, I dreamed of being a teacher, a bartender, chef, but mainly a housewife. Well, none of those happened.

At the ripe age of 29, I finally found something I wanted to be. An author. A published author.

In the 21 years since (yeah, I gave away my age) I haven't given up that dream. I'd taken only baby steps toward that dream until 2002 when I told myself that I wasn't getting any younger and if I was going to do it, it was now.

It's been a rough four years, but I've learned a lot and feel I'm on the edge of that cliff. I can either soar to the heights I've dreamed about or crash and burn. I'm an optimist. I've had great mentors and CPs. They have given me wings. Now I need to learn how to flap hard.

Deborah Matthews said...

It's not totally about how hard you work or "flap your wings". A bit of luck is involved as well and that is totally out of our control.

I have a bunch of sayings & one I started to use, I didn't. I don't know where it came from, but it's so true. "Opportunity dances with those already on the dance floor."

Karen Beeching said...

So true, Deb. So true.