Tuesday, January 16, 2007

The Agony and the Ecstasy

I've been having some major motivation problems lately in regards to writing. From August through December, I think I wrote maybe twenty pages...that's probably a generous estimate. It's been agony to get words on the page.

To overcome my problem(s), whatever they may be, I signed up for two online classes this month, hoping to spur my imagination and in layman's terms, get my butt in gear.

They have both been excellent and I will admit to a renewed excitement...but now the hard part comes. I'm actually supposed to implement what I've learned and write! Oh no!

To help with this and again, get my butt in gear, I signed up for a Fast Draft class. It's designed to send your internal editor on vacation, allowing you to write as much as you can each day for two weeks. It's being taught and moderated by the amazing Candace Havens, who is not only inspirational, the responsibilities this woman has and is still able to write astounds me. She's incredible.

Yesterday was my first day and I must admit, I surprised myself and wrote twenty pages. Ah...the ecstasy.

Today, the agony began again. I've only written eight pages so far. At 7:00, I'll have to quit because, well, that's when American Idol comes on and I can't miss that! Hopefully, I'll be inspired to write after it's over...but with my history, who knows?

So I thought I'd take a few minutes to blog...surely that will stir some more creative juices. Have you ever written a book in two weeks? What's the shortest amount of time you've ever written one? Any suggestions for me, a struggling fast drafter who's looking for a quick ecstasy fix?

2 comments:

JoAnn said...

I wouldn't beat yourself up over eight pages. I thinks that's amazing! I have never ever been able to do one of those Book In A Week projects. I'm a slow reader and a slower writer, so I'm afraid I can't offer any solutions.

Turning off my internal editor is impossible, but I am able to gag her occasionally so that her screams are just an annoying muffle.

Good luck! Let me know if you figure out how to score some quick ecstasy!

Christy said...

Thanks Joann, no quick ecstasy yesterday...only did four pages. However, I'm determined to do more today...even if I have to increase my font size to 24!