Monday, December 25, 2006

Merry Christmas!

Well, lucky me, gets Christmas to blog. I have a birthday in two days, but bemoaning my birthday on Christ's birthday didn't seem right. So, I attempted to come up with a topic befitting the day.

The madness is over. The malls and shopping centers are quiet for a day. The last minute shoppers have finished. The trip for Santa and his reindeers is at an end. Presents have been exchanged and opened. We can breathe and take time to enjoy family and good food.

This is the second Christmas without my mother. The memories will live on forever. She and my aunt always alternated Thanksgiving and Christmas lunch, but you could always count on me and my husband and my brothers and family being at my mother's on Christmas Eve. She put out food no one ate. I received gifts I didn't want and I'm sure, gave gifts they didn't want, but we were together. That was what was important. Everyone will be at my aunt's for lunch today, but there will be a hole left by my mother's absence.

Tomorrow the madness will start over again as people exchange presents and hit the after Christmas sales. I'm sure some stores don't even wait until after Christmas day. Living in the middle of the Bible belt, most of our stores will be closed. I can't even buy alcohol legally in my county. I'll leave the shopping for others. I'll be home back to my old routine or trying to start a new routine so I can lose weight.

What's your favorite Christmas memory?

Here's wishing everyone a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year! May all your dreams come true in the new year.

2 comments:

Carla Swafford said...

Most of my childhood Christmas memories are wrapped around the presents I received from Santa. (A typewriter being one - too funny.)

When it comes to favorite though, they include my children.

Between the years of becoming an adult and having children, Christmas was just a hassle and little else. But my children gave the magic of Christmas back to me and I appreciate it so much more. Even they are grown now, but with a grandson, the magic continues.

Sorry. I couldn't think of one. Too many to choose from.

Anonymous said...

yes i hope everyone's dreams come true in 2007!