Sunday, December 03, 2006

Getting back in

In September, I had about 75,000 words written on a single title romantic comedy for adults when I suddenly got a new rush deadline for a YA novel. So I had to put my sexy twenty-eight-year-old hero in deep freeze and go into teen mode. Now I've turned in my YA, and I'm trying to thaw Jacob out. Poor baby. He is s-s-so c-c-c-cold.

I know juggling projects is common in this business. Multi-pubbed authors have a due date for one book around the same time another book is released and they need to be concentrating on publicity. Or, just when they're writing the climax for one book, they get a revision letter for the last book, with the revisions due...yesterday. The ability to juggle projects is part of what makes a successful author.

I'm new to this, so I'm slowly developing some tricks to get myself back into a book I've had to set aside. First, I make a soundtrack of songs to go along with the book I'm writing. When I come back to it, I come back to the songs. Second, I cut out photos from magazines of the hero and heroine and possibly the villain, and put them on my bulletin board. When I come back to the book, the photos go back up. These audio and visual cues seem to help get me back to that place when I read the whole manuscript and my notes all the way through.

Do you have trouble manuscript-hopping? How do you outsmart yourself?

2 comments:

Carla Swafford said...

I'm not sure if authors are not sure either or they do and don't want to admit it.

I've manuscript hopped. But being unpublished might be part of it. LOL! It can be difficult, especially when you catch yourself calling your heroine by another name. Gets rather confusing.

See. I'm no help. Sorry.

Anonymous said...

I have manuscript hopped, but it was from my novel to two short stories. for some reason my brain is able to shut off the novel to write the ss and then back. when i get back im usually even better. i dont know y im able to do that. im guessing its cuz my brain was really tired of writing the novel and eager for something else. Cattt.