Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Writing to a Soundtrack

I thought I'd bring out an oldie but goodie topic---writing to a soundtrack. Do you do it? I do. At least, I usually create a playlist for my computer and a compilation CD to play in my car when I'm working on a book. I try to pick music that captures the mood and theme of my story, or reminds me in some way of my characters. I don't always write to the music, but I like to surround myself with it to keep me in the mood for writing.

My current WIP has a couple of emotionally-wounded characters and so a lot of the songs on my playlist are melancholy. I've written other books where I went for a creepier vibe or a more romantic vibe. The playlist for my August 2007 release, FORBIDDEN TEMPTATION, featured a lot of songs about alienation, because both my heroine and my hero were alienated in some way from their family and friends.

What's on your book's soundtrack?

3 comments:

Deborah Matthews said...

I like quiet when I write. The one time I did play music was when I was writing A GIFT OF LOVE. It was June and hot! I played Christmas music to get in the spirit.

Carla Swafford said...

Sometimes I'll play music that goes along with the book. But more often than not, I become inspired by songs. Such as LeAnn Rimes's song, "Probably Wouldn't Be This Way." It wouldn't leave me alone and I started a new book called, THE PREACHER'S SON.

Now time to get back to DEADLY TEMPTATION. Must finish it and another paranormal before getting back to TPS.

MaryF said...

I'm still looking for the right songs for my WIP. I love having a soundtrack, though.

Maybe I can just loop Jeffrey Dean Morgan's voice over and over.....