Monday, November 13, 2006

Reading But Not Writing

I love all kinds of romances. If the basic elements of romance are there, no matter what time period, I'm a sucker for a good love story. But like everyone, I do have my preferences.

I write contemporary romances, with quite a lot of sizzle, a little bit of suspense and some humor. I feel comfortable writing contemporaries. It seems natural and right, a good fit for me and I do love to read them. But contemporaries are not my absolute favorite read. I devour historicals like chocolate ice cream. As a teen, I fell in love with Kathleen Woodwiss' The Flame and the Flower, then later on discovered Judith McNaught, Julie Garwood, Andrea Kane, Nicole Jordan and so many more I can't begin to name them all.

So, why do I write in one time period but actually love to read in another? I don't know. I've never tried writing a historical and have no real desire to try. I just know that I love reading them.

What about you. Do you write in one sub-genre but really love another one?

1 comment:

Carla Swafford said...

I know what you mean. I love reading paranormals and some contemporaries. But more times and not, I pick up a historical.

I've even tried writing a historical (several in fact), but I can't get the rhythm - that's the only way I can describe it. You know, how a historical should sound.

Oh, well, maybe one day.