Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Kissin' Tells (or Rather, Shows)


I first saw this magazine advertisement when I was a sophomore in college and an avid reader of Glamour magazine. The illustration still takes my breath away today. I love to imagine the scene just a moment before, when the violinist makes the decision to finally act on his passion. You know it's the first time they've kissed, and more than likely, it won't be the last.

There are two first kisses from movies that I love to watch over and over when I want to be inspired. They never fail me. The "explosion of passion" version is from The Last of the Mohicans; the scene where Hawkeye and Cora search for each other among the throngs in the fort. When their eyes meet, he simply takes her hand and leads her to a secluded spot. Oh, man--I get chills every single time. Powerful!

The other (the "smoldering burn" version) is from a little-known movie called Dear Frankie. The Stranger (Gerard Butler) puts Lizzie's son to bed and then he and Lizzie walk to the door. They stand, and slowly their faces draw closer and closer. It's agony! I want to screech "Kiss her already!" But it's a delicious agony, and when he does, I just sigh and hit rewind to put myself through it again.

What are your favorite movie kisses that you love to watch over and over for inspiration?

8 comments:

Carla Swafford said...

I'm sure that there others I like more, but the one that comes to mind is FIRST KNIGHT with Richard Gere. It's the scene where he's about to leave a room and then turns and races across the room and lays a goodin' on her. I'm not a big Richard Gere fan, but boy, oh, boy, that kiss made the movie worth watching.

To me, a movie isn't worth watching without a little sexual tension between the hero and heroine. And a must is one kiss.

JoAnn said...

Ooooh, yeah, that IS good one! :-)

Karen Beeching said...

And the fun thing about that Dear Frankie scene, they had to do that scene 20+ times before they got it right!

One of my favorite "chemistry" movies is Tequila Sunrise. You just never think Joanna and Mac are ever going to get around to it, and when they finally do, holy smokes.

Karen

JoAnn said...

Wow. Now that's a hardship I'd like to experience: being forced to kiss Gerard Butler 20+ times! :-)

I'll have to check out Tequila Sunrise again. It's been ages since I've seen it. What fun...

Carla Swafford said...

Ohhh, the hot tub scene! Talk about HOT - excuse the pun. Tequila Sunrise had a dragging middle but the hot tub scene - oh, my... Whew!

Kathy said...

Not to mention the final scene in Phantom of the Opera when the Phantom finally gets a kiss from Christine. OOOOOhhhh! (Gerard Butler...again!)

Kathy

Deborah Matthews said...

Love Gerard Butler! Ever since I saw him in Attila.

It's funny, but some things I remember more than a kiss. A look from HAREM when the guy sees the girl being carried into the marahajah and just the fact of Attila (GB) killing his brother and then marching into the servants tent to get his woman.

As far as the kiss, Pride & Prejudice (Colin Firth version). At the end, he finally kisses her.

Debbie

Paula said...

JoAnn, you mentioned my favorite--the kiss in LOTM, and I also love that scene in DEAR FRANKIE.

Some other faves:

Paul Newman and JoAnn Woodward in THE LONG, HOT SUMMER--when he tells her ahead of time he's going to kiss her, and she struggles to resist him but just can't. Yow.

From a minor, little known romance called PASSIONADA, starring Jason Isaacs as a card sharp con man who romances a Portuguese widow with a teenaged daughter, the kiss that the hero and heroine share during a dinner seduction scene made my heart hurt in a good way.