Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Ha! I'll Show Them!

Last week I blogged about the nicest thing anyone ever said about my writing. I don't know about you but I need to hear those things, because doggone-it, they're few and far between. They often keep me going when I think about giving up.

I'll admit that I've been pretty lucky when it comes to constructive criticism of my writing. Most people have either been incredibly kind or possibly very good liars. I don't try to analyze why they said what they said. I usually smile gratefully and move away quickly, hoping they won't change their minds.

But what about the ones who aren't so kind or even constructive? What about the ones who are just downright mean? Yep, they're out there folks and if you've not run into them yet, well...good for you.

I will admit that when I run into a not so nice critic who says something disparaging about my work or writing, it usually ticks me off so badly, I get in a, "Ha! I'll show you," mood. And what do I do? I make myself do better. Whatever the comment was, I take it apart, examine it, ask myself if there is truth in it and if there is, I do my dead level best to improve. Of course, this is after much chocolate, a few swear words and yes, sometimes a few tears.

The nice comments are wonderful to hear, but I'll admit, it's the criticism, constructive and sometimes just plain cruel that make me work harder.

The most hurtful comment anyone ever gave me? A fellow writer told me I was a good writer but not a good story teller. Ticked me off but good. Though I still think she could have told me in a much more tactful way, it forced me to take a good, hard look at my work and hopefully improve.

So what about you? What was your "Ha! I'll show them," comment?

1 comment:

Carla Swafford said...

Actually, it was Dianna Love Snell that said something (can't remember the exact words now) that encouraged me to ignore the crappy comments I received from previous contests and just GO FOR IT! Oddly, not too long after that I finaled for the first time in a contest.