Saturday, November 25, 2006

Great Discoveries

Lately I've been doing a lot more reading than writing. As much as I love to revisit my old favorites and relive those wonderful characters and stories, I adore finding new authors. Well, new to me anyway. It's like I've made a great discovery and I have to tell everyone about my new find.

A few months ago, I discovered a debut historical romance author that I fell in love with. Admittedly, the cover caught my eye, the back blurb sounded intriguing and so I swallowed the hook and purchased the book. I loved it. The story starts out incredibly steamy...think an Alabama August afternoon and add ten degrees. But then it turns into this incredibly sweet love story. I've read it three times, maybe four and believe it or not, still cry when it appears their love is doomed. Even though I know it ends happily, my heart still wrenches with despair. That kind of emotional turmoil just turns me inside out. The book? Passion by Lisa Valdez. Be warned, it is erotic but also an incredibly romantic story.

The other day I discovered Ann Stuart. She's not new, but she's new to me. Based upon something Carla said, I thought I'd give her a try. Wow! The characters were very complex. Now, I've got to go back and find the first one. This one was Cold As Ice. I think the first in this series is Black Ice. I'll be honest and tell you that I'm not absolutely sure that I like the main characters. However, they are incredibly complex and different from any others I've read in years. I'll definitely be on the lookout for more of her books.

What about you? Have you made any great discoveries lately? If so, who are they and what's the name of the book?

1 comment:

Carla Swafford said...

Actually there are several, but two really stand out. One is J.R. Ward. She's written a vampire world called the Black Dagger Brotherhood that is unique enough to catch my interest, but familiar enough to hold it. Her DARK LOVER and LOVER ETERNAL blew me away. LOVER AWAKENED was good though I never felt connected to the characters like the first two. I'm waiting with hot breath (as these books are on FIRE!) for LOVER REVEALED.

Then there is an Alabama author, Kresley Cole. I had heard about her three years ago when her debut book THE CAPTAIN OF ALL PLEASURES came out and how wonderful it was. But I really don't care for Boat Books, so I passed it up. Then she came out with A HUNGER LIKE NO OTHER. I almost passed it up because I had gotten tired of being disappointed with new vampire stories. But I couldn't get the cover art out of my mind -- see, it does help occasionally. THe book was awesome. The second novel was good, but missing something. Maybe I was expecting too much. I do remember how tired I was after reading the first one -- so much action - non stop. Anyway, the second wasn't as intense and I was a little disappointed in that. But it was good and I can't wait for another one. Hey, I might even check out the previous Boat Books. LOL!