Sunday, November 19, 2006

A Bad Case of the Don't-Wannas

I'm in a terrible place for a writer---smack-dab in the middle of the Don't-Wannas. Don't wanna write. Don't wanna research. Don't wanna plot. Don't wanna do anything but play solitaire, read blogs, hang out on message boards and sleep. Maybe it's the recent change from Daylight Savings Time to regular time, or the colder weather, or the impending madness of the holidays, but whatever the reason, I'm having terrible trouble getting my mind into writing. I'm waiting to hear from my editor about line edits on the most recently purchased book and her thought on the partial of book three, and for some reason, the writing part of my brain seems to think that's permission to be a complete slug.

I can't be the only person this happens to. But if you're looking for me to come up with good advice about how to get out of it, you're out of luck. Instead, why don't y'all share some of your sure cures for the Don't-Wannas?

3 comments:

JoAnn said...

Sorry, Paula. I'm no help. I have no idea how to conquer this. But I'll keeping checking back to see if someone else will post the secret miracle cure...

Actually, maybe taking a little breather is a good thing? I know you're a disciplined writer, so maybe this is your muse saying "Hey -- time out, for pete's sake!"

Just a thought...

Carla Swafford said...

Maybe this is a good time to mess around with something new. You know, maybe a chapter or two of another book. Something that's nagging the back of your brain. It will have to be something you can set to the side later while you take care of your contract items. It helps me get back into the game. Though this is a suggestion from someone that's not published. :-)

MaryF said...

I went through this earlier this year. My agent had my revisions, I had two other completed books, I had no urgency to write. Took me a long time to get back to the "Wanna!" Hope it doesn't take you as long!