Thursday, October 26, 2006

Word Nerd


When my husband and I started dating, one of the first things I learned about him was that he loved board games. This did not thrill me, as I have never, ever won at Monopoly, backgammon, or even Candyland. Of course, he beat me at any and all games that involved strategy, money, and world takeovers. One thing saved the relationship: I could chew him up and spit him out at Scrabble.

I have always loved words. I bet I was the only kid in all 12 years of primary and secondary school who adored vocab. My favorite words – discombobulated, loquacious, and pithy – come from those lists. I don’t think I’ve ever used any of them in my writing or even in conversation (and certainly never in the same sentence), but if I ever do, the feat will give me great pleasure.

Hmmm…

"Discombobulated, Eleanor stumbled into the senator, whose loquacious demeanor belied the pithy speech he had just given."

Okay, it’s not Faulkner, I know. But it was fun trying.

What are your favorite words?

JoAnn Weatherly

3 comments:

Carla Swafford said...

Favorite words? Besides anything printed on white paper? I guess it's two words that learned as an adult and thought they sounded funny - procrastinate and copacetic.

"No matter how often she procrastinated, she thought everything was copacetic."

Of course, there are small words that are my favorites such as tall, dark and handsome... LOL!

Deborah Matthews said...

Now, discombobulate is a word I do use in my writing. Of course, I'm writing historicals.

I don't know that I have any favorite words in that sense. There are certain words that make it into my writing a lot and that's not a good thing. Just is one of them I seem to use too much.

Gaill said...

I have a new favorite word. I discovered it a few days ago when I was looking up the word cynic. It didn't look right when I wrote it in an email to a friend, who knows I'm a cynic, but I needed to remind her. I'll admit it, I am a dictionary junkie. When I open one up, look up the word I'm looking up, I'm drawn to look up and down the page and see if I know all the words. Trust me, I do not know as much as I'd like to think I know.

Anyway, I found this word I had never heard before, or if I have, I ignored or misunderstood it.

cy pres- this is such a cool word- it is almost a defense for plagarism, if you read it the right way. I'm gonna make you look it up, and we can talk about it on Saturday, only because DH just came home and I need to spend some time with him.