Friday, October 06, 2006

Does Age Matter?

Over the last two months I've been to more doctors and been prodded more than I have in years. They seem to throw the reference of my age around a lot.

Several years ago because of my age and family history I started having a mammogram yearly. "At my age" I now needed a colonoscopy as well as a bone density test.

With my recent move, I've had to acquire all new doctors, which hasn't been fun. Though, the female gynecologist is more thorough than my old one. Yesterday I had a D&C to check out a problem.

You're probably thinking this is TMI. But it got me to thinking about the age of our heroines. They tend to be young in the majority of books. Occasionally, you see a book where the heroine is older, but not real often. The heroines I write for my Regency historicals tend to be on the younger side and inexperienced, yet eager to learn when they meet the hero.

They say age matters in fine wine. You can't have good sauerkraut without letting the cabbage age. A new love is no less exciting with age. So, why does heroines tend to be younger? Or maybe it's just because I'm older they seem young.

What age heroines do you write and why? Does she resemble you and your life experiences? Or is she younger? More inexperienced?

4 comments:

Carla Swafford said...

I guess in historicals, with good reasons, most of the heroines are young.

My books are contemporaries and the heroines are from 23 to mid-thirties. To think of it, only one (not completed) has a heroine with children.

I guess I avoid writing about people closer to my age because I find younger people more interesting. Odd, but I hadn't realized that until now. Hmmm.

Probably sometime in the future I'll change my mind.

Good subject, Debbie.

Carla Swafford said...

Oh, I didn't answer them all.

My heroines are not like me. A few of the comments they make may be from the way I feel about things, but, nah, they're not me. And so far (except for my historicals) not a one is a virgin. I think to have an over eighteen-year-old virgin heroine in a contemporary, they are kidding themselves.

Christy said...

I do tend to create heroines between the ages of 25 - 35. And, I prefer to read books with heroines of that age. I'm not really sure why, other than I identify with that age group, more so than any other, even though I'm no longer close to that age!

The heroines I write about most definitely resemble many of my thoughts and ideas. Though my heroines are much more heroic and gutsy than I am and much better looking.

Carla Swafford said...

Oh, I didn't about looks. Yeah. I look like by heroines. Well, at least until I pass a mirror and get a shock. LOL!