Tuesday, September 12, 2006

You can't keep a good chick down

I had some disappointing news today. Initially my publisher was interested in having me write a sequel to MAJOR CRUSH, which is selling well. But they've decided they don't want me to do this until sales reach a certain level. In the meantime, they want the second book on my contract to use the basic plot of one alternative idea I sent them, combined with the setting of another.

I called my agent and whined. I called my critique partner and whined. I was depressed for about three seconds. And then I started writing.

Writing in general is a terrific activity for control freaks. But at least from my experience, I'd say being a control freak and having a happy publishing career do not mix. This is the bright side of banging my head against the wall for fifteen years before I finally got the call. If I'd been published in my early 20's, I'm not sure I would have had the ability to relinquish a little control and work with a publisher to fill their needs. As it is, I appreciate what I have, and I will NEVER take that call for granted.

4 comments:

Carla Swafford said...

A sequel to MAJOR CRUSH!!! I so can't wait. But I guess I will, huh?

A setting from one and plot from another? Whoa. This is when you start having to bust butt.

Let me get my pom-poms out. Gggoooo! Jenn, you can do it!!

Man, I made myself sick.

But really, you got it, girl and you can show them how it shakes.

CRAP! I need to throw these #@%# pom-poms away.

jennifer echols said...

BE CAREFUL. I tried to do a back-handspring a few years ago. It was not pretty.

Christy said...

Hey, good chick. I'm right in the middle of Major Crush and I'm loving it. And I'd love to see a sequel. I'm really thinking Walter is going to turn into one hunky guy and leave his home-bus behind for good.

However, until that time comes, I'll look forward to the next great book from Jennifer Echols, sequel or not.

You go girl!

jennifer echols said...

Sweetheart! ♥