Sunday, September 10, 2006

Religion and Romance

Well, this wasn't my planned blog, but I had to go searching for another topic. Thanks, Paula!

It's Sunday. Let's talk about religion. Yeah, I know you're not supposed to talk about
religion, but I wanted to bring it up in relation to your writing. Has anyone had
problems/encounters with their church or religious leaders because of their books? I've heard of some. Some people seem to have missed the Biblical verses about "Let he who is without sin cast the first stone."

Since I've moved back to my hometown, I've been visiting different churches. My writing is not something I volunteer to everyone. Not because I'm ashamed or anything like that. I'm just a shy, modest woman. (Okay, Connie and Carla, quit laughing!) Let me say, I'm Southern Baptist. I even live in a dry county in the heart of the Bible Belt.

One church I visited a few Sundays ago seemed a bit different than others. Back at home when I mentioned to my husband I wasn't sure why Planned Parenthood was bad
(this was in the sermon), he said only half joking, Stay away from those people. They find out about your books, they'll burn you at the stake. (I've since figured out the reference to PP.) The funny thing was that when I was sitting by the Sunday School teacher during the sermon, it occurred to me that she would be horrified to know I write "sex". I've never really thought that about anyone I've met in a church, stranger or not. Not that I think it's tied to certain denominations. Within each, there are some practitioners more conservative than others.

My brother is a Southern Baptist minister, but he's never commented. I surmise it's because he hasn't read anything I've written.

Anyway, I was just curious about others' experiences. How have you handled someone who judges you based on what you write?

2 comments:

Carla Swafford said...

Luckily, the people I've told so far have been nice about it. You know..."You write? That's great!" But occasionally and usually men, they want to talk about the sex scenes I write. Too funny. Not the sex scenes, but the men wanting to read those scenes.

The only time I run across negativity is when I have a romance sitting out on my desk. One guy said, "Oh, you read those dirty books." Of course, I can't let him get away with it, so I ask, "So you think sex is dirty? How does your wife feel about that?" It gets them every time. LOL!

Kate Lyon said...

At a booksigning, I ended up seated beside a recent Miss America who writes children's books. Toward the end, she asked me how I justified the sex scenes. I asked her if she enjoyed swimsuit competitions.

Kate Lyon