Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Odd Blog

I thought I'd do an odd blog today, since I don't have any real issues. Well, actually I have a lot of issues, but you definitely don't want me to blog about them. This week, at least so far, I have no real writing issues.

On a weekly basis, I read between 300 - 500 hundred emails, articles and blogs related to writing. That's a lot of opinions. Some I agree with, some I don't. Some just make me shake my head. I've read a lot of emails over the last few hours on prologues and whether they should be done. Seems there are a lot of people who don't care for them. In my opinion, if it adds to the story and it's not just a lazy way of giving back story, then most definitely, a prologue is useful. What do you think? And what about epilogues? Got to admit, I'm a big fan of epilogues. I not only want to know that the h/h got together, I want to see them happy. I've invested a lot of time with these people, I deserve to see their bliss. What do you think about epilogues?

I took a break this week from writing. I rarely do that, but I'm getting ready to hit a project really hard next week and I just finished up a manuscript, so I thought, what the heck, why not read a little. So far, I've only been able to read one book, but I have plans for at least three more. I'm afraid I won't read anything after this week until the holidays, so I need to get in as many as I can. What surprised me is that I read a book I'd read a couple of years ago that I didn't really care for. It's by one of my favorite authors but for some reason, it just didn't do it for me. Well, I read it again and LOVED IT! Why is that? I'm not really sure. The book hasn't changed so obviously it's me. I know I've done that with movies before. Not been in the right frame of mind and hated a movie and then I see it months later and loved it. Never considered how my mood would affect my reading, but I guess it does. Have you ever done that? Read a book, disliked it and then read it again and loved it? If so, why do you think that is?

Another article I read recently talked about creating your characters and having an idea of a real life person, maybe celebrity or actor, in mind as you create. I don't usually have a real person in mind, although, I seem to be able to see them clearly. They're real to me, they're just not real. What about you? Do you have someone in mind as you begin to develop your characters?

1 comment:

Carla Swafford said...

Let's see. Don't mind Prologues - used them a time or two myself. Love Epilogues. I feel the same way. I want to see them as a happy couple.

I've seen movies I didn't think that much for and then end up buying the DVD for a certain scenes that wouldn't get out of my mind. Haven't done that with a book yet. If I didn't like it that much the first time I read it, I won't pick it up again. Too many others out there to check out.

I definitely believe you have to be in the right frame of mind to enjoy certain books and movies. Now I have picked up a because people have gone on and on about it and most of the time don't care for it. But occassionally I do love it -- example Sherrilyn Kenyon's Fantasy Lover.

Oh, yeah, I use real people. So far I've used Keenan(sp?) Reeves, two guys from General Hospital, and one from One Life to Live. There's more, but I can't remember the others right now.