Friday, July 14, 2006

Quotable quotes

Recently I got review quotes for MAJOR CRUSH (to be released August 1) from YA authors Marley Gibson and Diana Peterfreund. You can read them on my web site here. They won’t be printed on the cover of my book, though. My critique partner Victoria Dahl got a review quote from historical author Connie Brockway, who was the keynote speaker at the Southern Magic Readers’ Luncheon last year. This quote will grace the cover of Vicki’s first book, TO TEMPT A SCOTSMAN, which will be out in August next year. You can read the quote here.

As writers, I think Vicki and I feel the same way about these quotes. We are sooooo gratified to have our work publicly valued by authors whose work we love ourselves! But as a reader, I don’t think I view review quotes the same way other people do. The Smart Bitches had a discussion a few months ago about Sherrilyn Kenyon’s book sporting a quote by Kinley MacGregor (they are the same person). Some readers were genuinely upset, because they didn’t realize these writers were the same person, and a review quote greatly influences whether they buy a book. Now, I had sent an ad featuring this very Sherrilyn Kenyon book to Romance Writers Report because Southern Magic was honoring Sherrilyn’s 50th sale. I think it says volumes about my perception of review quotes that I did not even notice the quote was there! (When the Smart Bitches drew my attention to it, I thought it was the funniest thing I’d ever seen, and pulled a Sherrilyn book off my TBR shelf and started reading.)

I’m guessing review quotes don’t grab me because I don't buy by browsing. I buy books because they are like the books I write (adult or YA romantic comedy), because a new friend I’ve found online wrote them, or because Vicki told me to. And the reason I don’t browse is that I'm almost never out in public without a five-year-old boy pulling on me. I buy a lot of books on Amazon. If I buy them from local bookstores, I've looked up the book on Amazon first and know the exact author and title and where to find it in the store. (I bought Lani Diane Rich’s THE COMEBACK KISS at Books A Million at Brookwood Mall last week; it only took two minutes, but my son managed to knock something over. We are not buying that. No. We are not buying a train calendar. Put that back. Put that back. Put that back. Put. That. Back!)

What about you? Do review quotes make your eyes glaze over, or will you buy Vicki’s book because Connie Brockway said so?

9 comments:

Deborah Matthews said...

I've never bought a book because of a cover quote. I also don't buy based on reviews. I buy a book because I think the style is a type I like. Sometimes I'm disappointed.

I've also heard readers buy a book with a cover quote thinking that book is going to be the same type book of the famous author's quote. When not, they get upset.

Christy said...

My answer is yes and now no. I'd never paid attention to review quotes or as I've always thought of them, endorsements. But last year, I purchased three books because some of my favorite authors had a quote on the front of a debut author's book.

Like the dweeb that I often am, I immediately assumed if this author liked this book, I most definitely would. Wrong! The books were nothing like the authors' writing. I didn't care for any of the books.

So, lesson learned. Read the back blurb and the first page, put it back, come back to it and read it again. Go get a cup of coffee, peruse some more titles, then read the back blurb one more time, then probably, maybe, I'll buy the book.

jennifer echols said...

Read the back blurb and the first page, put it back, come back to it and read it again. Go get a cup of coffee, peruse some more titles, then read the back blurb one more time, then probably, maybe, I'll buy the book.

What fun! I remember those days. I love having a five-year-old, but I do look forward to being able to browse the bookstore again...seven years from now...

Victoria Dahl said...

I think I'm so excited about the Connie Brockway quote because I actually DO read cover quotes! If I'm looking at two books by two authors I've NEVER heard of, I'd be more likely to buy the book with the good cover quote. I don't know why. I haven't found any better quality, necessarily. But I've also never found that the reading-of-the-first-page works for me. I don't mind a book that builds up to deliciousness. *shrug*

I was a marketing major in school. Maybe I just like to reward good marketing! *wink*

Btw, that Kinley MacGregor quote was hilarious. Something like, "Sherrilyn Kenyon writes the kind of paranormals I'D write!" So, so funny.

Carla Swafford said...

Actually, the blub was from Sherrilyn for her new fantasy line written under Kinley. Sorry. I thought it was the funniest thing in the world. Those people that upset are silly. THINK! If most people (including me -- had to learn the hard way like Christy) believe the writing would be similar, then in this case, heck yeah it will be. It's the same AUTHOR! LOL!!!

Congratulations Vicki and Jennifer on the review quotes.

Jennifer, Audie finished your book and loved it! As I did! Funny! Made me remember being a teenager. BTW, she started reading yesterday and finished last night -- fastest she's ever read a book!!! :::proud momma:::

jennifer echols said...

Oh, I'm SO GLAD she liked it!!! Because I wanted you to like it & Vicki to like it, and I was extremely relieved that my dad liked it...but Audie is a lot closer to my intended audience. So that's great news!

brandie the writer said...

Congratulations on the quotes! I read quotes, but I fall into the category of buying books "because a new friend I’ve found online wrote them." I used to browse bookstore shelves, but I make most of my decisions and purchases online now.

Victoria Dahl said...

>>If most people (including me -- had to learn the hard way like Christy) believe the writing would be similar, then in this case, heck yeah it will be. It's the same AUTHOR! LOL!!!<<

EXACTLY, Carla. I mean, it's the most accurate author quote you could get!

Melanie N. Lee said...

I think you're quoting an old, old cartoon: "Put that back! Put that back! Put that back!" What's the name of that cartoon, please?

mnl_1221@yahoo.com