Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Hard Learned Truths of Writing Fiction

Warning: These truths may not necessarily be your truths. But, for me, they are irrefutable facts.

1. No one will ever love my stories and characters as much as I do.

2. Rejections hurt. Whether it's the first or five hundredth, they still sting.

3. When and if I ever sell, I'll need to cut my word count by at least a thousand words to allow for the extra pages to thank all the people who have helped me along the way.

4. It sucks to be on a diet when rejections start coming in.

5. No matter how many times I revise my work and call it complete, there are still things I find to change and make it better.

6. Thanks to email, Sunday is not a rejection safe day.

7. In the years I've been writing, I have learned so much, but it's still a thimble full compared to what I have yet to learn.

8. No matter how many disappointments, rejections, poor contest scores or endless days of staring at a blank computer screen, there's still nothing I'd rather be doing than writing.

What about you? What irrefutable truths have you discovered about writing fiction?

2 comments:

Carla Swafford said...

Too funny and true! I agree. Here are my truths to add:

1. No matter how many times I tell myself not to enter anymore contests, I enter another one.

2. Rejection letters should, but do not, automatically come with chocolate.

3. Regardless of how hard I try, the book I write is never as good as the one that's forming in my head.

4. Very few people can do it alone. Without my chapter, my critique group, and my critique partner, I know I would have never reached the level I have in my writing.

I'm sure I can think of more...

jennifer echols said...

All these truths are so true! This is why I love the writing community in general (and y'all specifically): you know what I mean.