Saturday, July 22, 2006

Fiction is Fiction, NOT Reality!

I was going to blog about going to Nationals, but it sounded a lot like the one a couple of weeks ago. I'm not Grandma yet! (g)

The dictionary describes fiction as: (1) an invented idea or statement or narrative; an imaginary thing; (2) literature, esp. novels, describing imaginary events and people; (3) a conventionally accepted falsehood; (4) the act or process of inventing imaginary things.

So, why do some people expect life to resemble fiction? Last week I read an article where a lady was bemoaning how romantic movies had messed up her and her friend's love lives. Hit her with the clue gun! They're fiction, just like romance novels. Meant to entertain.

People don't expect Darth Vader to show up in their life. People don't expect Arnold Schwarzenegger to blow up their house. People don't expect their lives to resemble a Stephen King novel or book. People (or at least the ones I know) don't expect to find a vampire in their bed.

What makes romance different? Is it because romantic novels and books mainly appeal to women? Are we so weak-willed that we can't tell the difference between fiction and reality?

HEAs really do happen. My parents were married for over 40 years. My brother has been married for 36 years; their son for 11. I've been married for 21 years. My aunt and uncle for 50. Maybe today couples go to divorce court at the first sign of trouble without working at marriage or relationships.

You can probably tell these stories irritate me. They make women appear so stupid. I don't want the books I read or the movies I watch to resemble life. I want to be entertained or want to entertain with the books I write. Why is romance different?

I really don't have a clue. Every so often these types of stories pop up in newspapers and on tv. Can you offer any suggestions? What do you expect from your fiction?

2 comments:

Carla Swafford said...

We were just talking about this today at the meeting. (Missed you.)
People for some reason think that you live what you write.

Hello! I can't heal with my hands! Not literally like the heroine can in one of my books.

When I first told my mom that I was writing a book, she exclaimed, "Oh, my God, you're going to write about what a horrible mom I am." BTW, NOT everything's about you, Mom, and you're not horrible. :::g:::

Deborah Matthews said...

Missed ya'll, too.

Yeah, I got an rich earl itching to get me into bed. (g)