Sunday, July 02, 2006

Atlanta or Bust!

Well, July has finally arrived. Where did the first of the year go? When I think of July I think of firecrackers and sweltering heat. I hate the heat and I'm so tired of watering my flowers and tomatoes. July also brings around Romance Writers of America's (RWA) National Conference. I decided to go this year since it's in Atlanta and won't involve buying a plane ticket.

I thought National was going to stress free this year. I inadvertently missed getting an appointment. Well, when Southern Magic's wonderful president, Carla Swafford, forwarded a message that there had been appointment cancellations, I immediately fired off an email. I really thought it was too late in the afternoon, but I received a reply that afternoon. I now have two appointments--one agent and one editor. Which means I now have to write a pitch.

Different people have different reasons for going to National. Some to meet their agent and/or editor. Some to see friends. Some to network in hopes of finding an opportunity to snag an editor or agent. Maybe to even meet a famous author they admire. Or for the inspiration of all that creative energy in one place.

So, what's your purpose in going to National? Or if you're not going, why?

4 comments:

Carla Swafford said...

I'm going for all the reasons you gave. This will be my first National conference and the reason I've never gone before varies, but the most common is cost.

Angel said...

I've only been to one national conference, and have wanted to go back ever since. Besides editor/agent appointments, I learned a lot from classes and the speakers at meals. Meeting authors and people you've only ever spoken with online.
And who can beat 5 days of getting to talk about writing without someone's eyes glazing over because they are tired of hearing it! :) Heaven!

Danniele

. said...

.

Kathy said...

It's my first time going to Nationals, too. I'm going to absorb as much as I can about the industry but what's most important, as Debbie said, is to be surrounded by creative energy and to be able to talk to others who share the same passion.

Writing is such a solitary thing. I sequestered myself a long time before joining HOD and SM. Through these great writing groups I've found that there are a lot of other people out there like me who share the same passions I do and who are finding ways to succeed. That in itself is great inspiration and now I'm ready to be further inspired.