Friday, June 02, 2006

What Two Books Would You Keep?

I am overrun with books. Some people would think I have a problem or need a 12-step program. But I've always loved books. Now, with my writing I have an excuse to collect non-fiction as research, of course.

But if I were forced to give up all fiction books but two, which ones would I keep? It's kind of like a mother trying to choose between her children. My first pick would be RAVISHED by Amanda Quick. It was one of the first historicals I fell in love with and I enjoy it each time I read it.

Now, the second is a bit more difficult to choose. I love the rest of Amanda Quick's novels and her contemporaries and futuristics as Jayne Ann Krentz and Jayne Castle as well as Julie Garwood's historicals. Then, there are a ton of wonderful writers in my RWA chapter. I also like the J.D. Robb books as well as Julia Quinn. But I think I would go with the greatest romance writer--Jane Austen. I have a book that contains all her books. There's no greater hero/heroine than Mr. Darcy and Lizzy. My heart beats a little faster when Anne gets Captain Wentworth back and I can't wait to see the havoc Emma's matchmaking creates.

Note I didn't choose my own. It's not modesty, but once my work is in book form, I never read them. It's just too nerve-racking and I really don't know why. Maybe because it's too late to change anything. Or maybe by that time I'm weary of the story.

Let's exclude the Bible. If you wish, the Bible can be your third book. But if you were limited to two books to read over and over, which ones would you choose?

4 comments:

Paula said...

Eeeeevil question, Debbie. To make a bibliophile have to choose only two? TORTURE!

Okay, I know PRIDE AND PREJUDICE is a given--I make a point of reading that at least once a year.

But I'm having trouble choosing #2. I adore TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD and HUCKLEBERRY FINN, but I don't re-read them, although I'd like to think I had that option if I were in the mood.

Okay, I'm going with a pop fiction pick instead of literature. I wouldn't want to be without Stephen King's THE STAND.

Did I mention this was a cruel question? :)

Deborah Matthews said...

hehehe! Yes, I know it's evil, since I'm a bibliophile myself.

By choosing the Jane Austen book that has ALL her books, I actually got more books. (g)

Carla Swafford said...

I know everyone thinks I'm a freak for not reading (or even the desire to read) any of the Jane Austen classics. But once I found modern romances I said bye-bye to all the classics(read or unread).

With that said...I agree with Paula, Debbie is an evil woman to ask that question. Just the thought of having to get rid of all my books is torture. Over the last few years, I've made myself get rid of three-quarters of my books -- painful, but necessary.
Needed room for newer books and hopefully my own one day. ::g::

My first book would be Candice Camp's (written as Lisa Gregory) RAINBOW SEASON.

The second would be a toss up of Linda Howard's ALL THE QUEEN'S MEN or SARAH'S CHILD.

AWWW! That hurt. There SO MANY more I would want to keep. Debra Webb's STRIKING DISTANCE. Gayle Wilson's LADY SARAH'S SON or ONLY A WHISPER. Sherrilyn's Dark Hunter series. GGGGR! I just can't do it!! They would have to shoot me and put me out of misery!

I can't do it!

Jen said...

Believe it or not, the two I would choose aren't romances. It would be difficult to leave Jane Austin alone (I also read P&P, Emma and Sense and Sensibility once a year)
but the two I would pick?
Sword of Shannara (Terry Brooks)
Gaudy Night (Dorothy L. Sayers)

Shoot, I can't even narrow down to my two favorite authors much less two favorite books.

Paula is right. You're EVIL. And Paula is evil for directing me here.