Monday, June 12, 2006

I'd Rather Be Playing Granny in Paradise

Summer has finally arrived. My gerber daisies and roses are in full bloom. The hummingbirds dart about. It's too hot to be outside much. There's still a lot one can do inside. Since I retired routines seem to have gone the way of the dodo.

I was already behind due to my recent move and I still don't have everything in place, but there are other things I'd rather be doing. Unfortunately, it's not writing. But I'm trying to force myself to work on my WIP. Self-imposed deadlines don't seem to work. My best friend is in the hospital with an aneurysm she had last week, which makes you realize how short life is. Then, today I had to come up with a topic for the blog.

There are times when we'd all rather be doing other stuff. I'm sure what varies from person to person. So, how do you force yourself to write when your mind wishes you somewhere else?

3 comments:

Carla Swafford said...

I wish I could give you you something different than what we all hear before, but it's true, put your butt in the chair and write. Or at least edit.

Lately, I've had a lot going on and my mind wants to do other things - easier things. But I had also given myself a goal to finish my lastest book by National and I'm determined to do it. I know I'll feel better about myself in the end.

Paula said...

The best way I've found to keep writing when I want to do something else is to track my progress daily. I know some people are allergic to things like spreadsheets or charts, but it's what works for me. I also try to give myself small, achievable goals per day. Usually if I'll start with a goal of, say, three pages per day, I'll actually end up writing six or seven.

Also, if I just can't get the pages to come on a given day, I try to do something writing-related, such as research or brainstorming.

MaryF said...

I've been through the same struggle recently, without the stress of a best friend in the hospital. I've been writing 100 words a day. 100. That's, like, half a page. Sometimes I get in the flow and more show up. Sometimes the 100 are a struggle. But I'm writing.

Good luck!