Monday, May 29, 2006

Why I Write

Compulsion? Addiction? Calling?

I've been thinking on this a lot lately. Why do I feel the need to sit at my computer day in and day out, creating characters, telling stories, dreaming and scheming of other worlds? There are plenty of other things I can do -- limitless chores and responsibilities to keep me occupied.

Is it a compulsion? Yes, but it hasn't always been that way. For years, I was perfectly content to read what others had created but felt no great urging to put pen to paper and create my own masterpiece. Were there characters in my head? Well yes, but I never really thought about putting them down on paper. They just kept me entertained. But now, if I don't write, I feel empty and unfulfilled.

Is it an addiction? Absolutely. I have never been so interested in something as I am in writing. I love talking about it, reading about it, learning about it and I love doing it. If I had to stop, for whatever reason, I would survive but I know I would never be truly happy. Writing fulfills me.

Is it a calling? No doubt about it. I don't think I'd have all these characters running around in my head, all of these stories screaming to be told, if it wasn't meant to be or if I wasn't destined to be a writer. I have something to say and I want people to hear it -- actually I want them to read it.

So, what about you? How do you feel about your writing? Does it sometimes consume you? Do you feel you have to write? Do you believe you were called to write?

1 comment:

Carla Swafford said...

I'm not sure if I was "called." Consumed. Probably. Obssessed. Yeah. In 1985, I decided the story running around my head had to come out. If my critique partners think I'm a trial now. Whoa! My writing was horrendous then. That story was never finished - Thank God! In 1994, I sent in my first completed book to the Golden Heart. The only good thing I can say about that is, it didn't finish last.

Three things happened that helped improve my writing and made me believe I would be published one day. --I love lists. Can you tell?-- (1) I became active with my chapter - great for support and encouragement (2) I joined a critique group - how else will you know what you're doing right or wrong? (3) bought tons of grammar books - everyone has to start somewhere.

Yep, I eat, drink, sleep and walk around thinking about every stage of writing.