Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Blogging Along The Way


Nothing like blogging about blogging. The last couple of days, some of my blogging buddies have been worried about running out of things to blog. I guess I worry about it, too. For about two seconds! ::g:: Being one of those kids that got in trouble often for talking, I can always think of something to discuss.

This blog is about writing. So I find it easy because everything in life leads me back to writing. I stump my toe, and I think of ways to remember the pain. Then whenever it happens to my heroine, she’ll limp around and feel the same thing. (Kinda sick when you think about.) I take a bite of pecan pie, and I savor the flavors and textures to refresh my memory for the next time my hero eats a piece. Hey, there’s ways to make it sexy. (Yeah, we already agree, I’m a sad puppy.)

To me, this blog is an exercise for the brain. And anyone that knows me, knows I hate exercising, but I love this type. Every time I place fingers to the keyboard, I know I’m improving on my word choice and maybe getting a little closer to being published.

I read grammar books with the hope some of it will sink in my thick head. Hanging around other writers help me realize I’m on the right path. What can I say, I eat, breathe, and live writing. To my writer friends, I’m interesting. To my non-writing friends, I can be boring as h*ll.

What exercises do you believe improves your writing?

P.S. The book cover is one of my modest blogging buddies -- go out and buy the book, you will not regret it! Click on BUY PAULA'S BOOK, FORBIDDEN TERRITORY

3 comments:

Deborah Matthews said...

Just the exercise of writing. The more you write the better you get. Having slacked off during the past year while I moved, I've found it very difficult to get back into the groove.

Christy said...

I totally agree with Debbie. The more I write, the more I learn and the better I get.

Another great learning experience or exercise is to send your stuff out there -- contests and submissions. The cold cruel world can be just that -- cold and cruel. But until you learn what you're doing wrong and how to fix it, you can't become better.

Cliche time -- No pain, no gain!

Paula said...

I'm very multi-sensual--I like to have my senses geared toward what I write, so as I'm preparing to work on a new project, I'll often put together a collage, or a flash movie, or something like that to help me visualize the setting, the characters, etc. I'll often make a soundtrack (which reminds me, I need some Island music to create my soundtrack for my current soon-to-be WIP). If my characters smell a certain way--sandalwood, sea scent, whatever--I try to have that scent handy to remind me of the smell.

Surrounding myself with these sense-cues for my book helps me to get into the world I'm writing about. I guess you'd call it "pre-writing."

(And thanks for the book plug! Everybody go buy it!)